There is nothing like enjoying a cup of tea and freshly baked scones with cream and jam on a Sunday afternoon.
- 750 ml Cake flour
- 25 ml Baking powder
- 5 ml Salt
- 200 g Butter refrigerated
- 1 Egg
- 60 ml Sugar
- 250 ml Milk
- 5 ml Vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a baking tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, the sugar and vanilla essence and add to the flour mixture.
- Gently cut the liquid into the flour mixture to form a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly. Do not overwork the dough. Pat it down to a thickness of 2cm.
- Cut out rounds using a cookie cutter or glass and place them on the baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.