Sago Pudding with Meringue Topping
An alternative take on traditional sago pudding. Top it with a meringue!
- 1 litre milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sago
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 gram butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup apricot jam
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
To make the Sago:
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Bring milk and cinnamon to a boil in a 2L container.
- Add sago and cover dish. Leave to soak for 90 minutes or over night if possible.
- Whisk the milk mixture and bring to a boil whilst whisking again for 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and vanilla together and whisk it quickly into cooled down mixture.
- Pour into a buttered dish.
- Half fill a larger dish, and place the sago dish in to create a bain marie.
- After baking, spread apricot jam gently over the pudding.
To make the Meringue:
- Add cream od tartar into egg whites and beat softly, while gradually adding 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Spread meringue over apricot topping on the pudding.
- Bake for 20 minutes until meringue is light golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!