Easy & Affordable Shakshuka
This is an easy recipe to spice up your breakfast and it is super yummy!
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ¼ tablespoon chilli flakes/cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley/coriander
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese optional
- 1 tablespoon oil to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Warm the oil in a large, oven-safe pan to a medium heat. Sauteé the onion and bell pepper with the salt and pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, paprika and chilli flakes, and cook, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes
- Add the tinned tomatoes and fresh herbs. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Use the back of a ladle to make 5 wells in the mixture and crack the eggs directly into them.
- Gently spoon a bit of the tomato mixture over the whites to help contain the egg. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on how you prefer your eggs. Once the egg whites are opaque, they’re done cooking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and top the dish with the crumbled feta and fresh herbs (optional).
- Serve with warm toast and enjoy!